On 11/26/2010 10:01 AM, Michael Lueck wrote:
> Daniel F. wrote:
>
>> It is quite likely, though, that the fault lies not with seamonkey
>> itself, but with the "preferred applications" gnome applet, which has
>> 'seamonkey -mail %s' as the default option, when it detects the
>> presence of /usr/bin/seamonkey on the system. This is currently my
>> best guess.
>
> Which is what NoOp seemed to suggest as well.
>
> I will try to dupe this with a newer build of Ubuntu to see if it is still a
> problem.
>
> If it is still a problem, I might open a bug report directly with Gnome,
> bypassing Ubuntu all together.
>
> Thank you Daniel for taking the time to provide verbose input.
>
> Sincerely,

Unfortunately I didn't see Daniel F.'s reply as it appears that he
posted via google groups & I have all google groups posts sent to
dev/null due to spam issues. If I get a chance, I'll look up his post later.

I'm still working on pining this down, but if you look at:
/usr/share/gnome-control-center/gnome-default-applications.xml
you'll find that the <mail-readers> sections in that file has this set for:

Thunderbird:
<executable>thunderbird</executable>
      <command>thunderbird %s</command>
      <icon-name>thunderbird</icon-name>
      <run-in-terminal>false</run-in-terminal>
and that works just fine.

SeaMonkey:
<executable>seamonkey</executable>
      <command>seamonkey -mail %s</command>
      <icon-name>seamonkey</icon-name>
      <run-in-terminal>false</run-in-terminal>
and that of course does not. [1]

Note that that file is a default file that is installed on the Gnome
desktop (at least in Ubuntu) even prior to installing Thunderbird or
SeaMonkey. I'm unsure how/why the difference, but will try to sort out
over the next few days by testing with a few test desktops that have not
had SeaMonkey (or Thunderbird) installed as yet. However, I do think
it's also a build issue as Joe just updated to 2.0.11 with his PPA and
now it automagically shows '-compose %s' after I brought up the issue
with him. I'll give it a day or two before asking due to the holiday
weekend.

[1] In actuality this is a proper cli command as the Gnome preferred
application UI shows 'Mail Reader' and does not show 'Mail Composer' or
similar. Either way I still think that the issue comes back to the
desktop environment rather than SeaMonkey; as demonstrated, changing the
destop preferences to the proper cli command 'seamonkey %s' or
'seamonkey -compose %s' does work as documented with SeaMonkey 2.x.