On Fri, 10 Dec 2010, Lucas Levrel wrote:

Le 10 décembre 2010, Bret Busby a écrit :

Ah, but it is not available as a .deb package.

Neither as rpm, etc. It's up to the distro maintainers to do that, so you should ask to a Debian forum.

"Been there, done that".

It is apparently included in a testing or unstable version of Debian Linux, yet to be released as "stable".

Not available at present, and no Debian person appears inclined to do it, for Debian 5.

Some software is available as .deb packages, set up by the software developers of the particular software. Opera is one (and, only one) example, of many applications that are released in the different packages, for installation using the system package management, for the different Linux distributions.

It is a question of for whom software is written - whether it is written for the users (in which case, amongst other things, it is provided in the different packages, for the different distributions), or, whether it is written for the developers of the software (in which case, the design (including the interface) is designed to suit the developers, and the software might be released only as binaries, to make it difficult for users to install, restricting who may use the software).

So, the question is, are developers of an operating system, expected to adapt software packages that may run on their syetem, to be easily installed on their system, or, are the software developers expected to develop their software to be able to be installed with a minimum of fuss (and, thus, as packages that can be easily installed using the operating system package management), on the operating systems on which the software is said to be able to run?

I expect that software developers who want to increase the usage of their particular software, would act to make their software as easy to instal and run, on the particular operating systems for which they profess the software to be usable and compatible, so as to encourage more propsective users, to instal and use the software.

It is a bit like some software houses, that provide software that only runs on MS Windows, such as Legacy genealogy software, Quicken accounting software, etc - they have previously advised that they have no intention of porting their software to Linux, and, by so doing, disenfranchise Linux users (unless the particular Linux users are willing and capable, to mess around with MS Windows emulation, if the particular software applications are compatible with Linux based MS Windows emulators).

Thus, it includes the issue of the degree to which the software development projects want to increase usage of their product.

If they want to increase usage of the product, then they act to make it as easy to instal and use, on as many operating systems, as possible.

If not, they simply develop the policy "we have developed this product for our benefit - take it or leave it, as it is - we are not interested in making it more usable, or more user-friendly - we are not that bothered, as long as it suits us", which is the apparent known history of Microsoft.

And, it is not limited to Microsoft - many web sites exist, that are designed to work only with Internet Explorer, and, many computer peripheral devices, whether they be webcms, printers, or whatever, are designed to work fully with MS Windows, and, not at all, or, with limited funtionality, with Linux. Some companies do well with their hardware devices, Like Samsung, with its printers and multifunction devices, that run well with Linux, using the Samsung Unified Linux Driver, and, others simply treat Linux users with contempt.

Or you could install by hand from the archive. It's not so hard, but you may lack dependencies if you really are on Debian etch:
(http://www.seamonkey-project.org/doc/2.0/system-requirements)
The following distributions should provide everything needed:
    * Debian "Lenny" (5.0.x) (or later)

I am using Debian "lenny", which is the current Debian "stable" version. "etch" is now "oldstable" and obsolete.

I use the version of Iceape for "etch" which is, I believe, Debian 4, as that is the latest version of Iceape or a Seamonkey version, that is available to run on mys system, and, as previously mentioned, that version of Iceape is about 4 years old.

Installing the binary, or whatever the tar/zip or whatever files is, is, from my experience, messy and difficult, and I had done that in the past, with a netscape or mozilla browser suite, and ended up having to instal, seven dfirectories down.

The process is best described as a Kafkaesque nightmare, and, it is probably easier to make friends with a cthulu, or the creature that Gandalf was fighting, when he fell off the bridge.

(BTW, why choose Debian if you want a cutting edge and easy to manage distribution?)

It has been my experience, that, for the most part, Debian has been a more stable system than some others, and, that package installation and maintenance, when using the Debian package management, has been superior.

Ubuntu, from my experience, in being more "cutting edge", has always been no more than a "testing" system, and, has not become a stable version, until the support on an LTS version, is about to end. Ubuntu 8.04LTS, is almost stable. My wife has blamed 10.04LTS for the destruction of the system and data on her unreplaceable computer, and she is a systems developer. Ubuntu 10.04 LTS seems to have eaten her partition table, or, something at that level, that pointed to evrything on the HDD. Now, after installing Ubuntu 10.04LTS, the (apparently unrepaceable) HDD is apparently wrecked.

Apart from system upgrades, which, I have found to destroy systems and data, Debian has generally been a relatively stable distribution, and, quite useable with its package management.

It is generally only with system upgrades, that Debian becomes destructive, from my experience.

But then, I prefer ease of use, stability, and functionality, which is why I believe Star Office 5.2, to be far superior to Open office, but that is another story...

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."