On 12/29/2010 9:01 AM PT, Rickles typed:

Is there a way SM2 can notify users about birthdays from its
addressbooks (*.mab) like an alarm or something?

Not natively, but there are a couple of alternatives:
*-Lightning, which is a calendar development and separate program (like
browser and email are separate programs of the suite)
*-An SM add-on called ReminderFox.

I can't speak for Lightning, but there is a support newsgroup for it on
this server. We use ReminderFox, which integrates into the browser and
mail windows. You set your reminders by date, and how you want the
program to remind you, and you're set. It doesn't read anything from
your *.mab files, but once you've put recurring events in, it'll repeat
the reminders next time 'round.

Hmm, I prefer reading my addressbooks so I don't have to update in multiple places. :(

We have it installed on SM 2.0.11 under XP and Windows 7 machines, and
no complaints.

Thanks. :)
--
..."Like me with the anthill in my backyard. I spent days watching the ants, trying to figure out which ones were good, and which ones were bad, but they all just looked like ants, so I started smiting all of them." "Well that's not --" "I was smiting them with the garden hose, and with lighter fluid, and with the lawnmower, and to be perfectly honest, I think I went a little crazy with the shovel. Those ants could have been praying to me all day, I wouldn't have heard them." "There was nothing they could do about it." "But, I don't think --" "Really, it's the same with us. There's nothing we can do about anything either, so why worry about it? Hey, this is making me feel better." "Well, that's good, but --" "I guess all we can do is live our lives with as much kindness and decency as possible, and try not to dwell on God standing over us with a giant shovel."...--Dewey and Teacher in Day Care episode from Malcolm in the Middle
   /\___/\         Phil./Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)