David E. Ross wrote:
On 1/4/11 7:23 PM, Rufus wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:
On 1/4/11 5:47 PM, Rufus wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:
On 1/4/11 4:17 AM, Ray_Net wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:
On 1/3/11 2:06 PM, Ray_Net wrote:
Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:

.. Of course, that will hide the fact that SeaMonkey is in use and
lead Web developers to ignore SeaMonkey.
That's also a reason I frequently dispute folks when they say "just set
it to mask as IE and fuggetaboutit."  :-/

If the code in seamonkey *is* the code of firefox, it's normal that he
*must* spoof as firefox.
The code in SeaMonkey is NOT the code of Firefox.
Why SM 2.1.x spoof itself by default firefox then ?
This change is being made to avoid the problems cited at the start of
this thread.  This was imposed by changing the Gecko core or another
core-like component that is required by SeaMonkey.  The change is
optional with the default to spoof Firefox.  The option is controlled by
a preference variable that can be set in the user.js file or via
about:config in the browser.

It is my understanding that Robert Kaiser (SeaMonkey guru) was not happy
about this change.  If my understanding is wrong, I hope Kaiser will
correct me.

...I'm not happy and I hope that Robert isn't either and is able to do
something about this "improvement".  I'd far more prefer the actual SM
default, and an interfaced, drop-down listed set of UA strings like is
built into Safari Developer Tools.

A drop-down selection list of UA strings for spoofing is available from
either the PrefBar or UserAgentSwitcher extensions.  These both have the
feature that your actual UA string is restored when you exit the browser
in case you forget that you were spoofing some other browser.

Yes, which is great.  But if SM is now going to make your default
something other than the truth anyway?..well, I'd rather just see that
left out and User Agent Switcher built in.

The "feature" is not yet in a final version of SeaMonkey.  When it is, I
plan to set the preference variable to not spoof Firefox.  I want to see
which Web sites are problematical.  The problem is that I cannot
remember what is the name of the variable.

You don't have to David. It's in SM2.1b2pre's Preferences --
Edit > Preferences > Advanced > HTTP_Networking > User_Agent_String > Advertise_Firefox_compatibility [checkbox] toggle it on or off as desired....
HTH, Barry.