On Sat, 19 Mar 2011 20:22:12 +1100, Daniel <d...@albury.nospam.net.au>
wrote:
t Linder

>> Hi to all who answered me. Through Googling for several hours, I have
>> solved my problem. I could not send e-mails because of Avast antivirus
>> software, which blocked my outgoing e-mails. Following a tip from a
>> 5-year old post, I unchecked the Avast box about scanning outgoing mail,
>> and voila, I can now send e-mails. Go figure.
>>
>> Thanks again.
>>
>> Mort Linder
>
>Why would you want to be scanning your outgoing mail?? Unless, of
>course, you knew you were infected!!
>
>Daniel

I like Avast but at least they provide controls to shut down  the
unecessary scanning like outgoing mail.  Need to go into the advanced
level in each group to do that.

But a bigger problem lately is all those apps that keep using up
cycles to check for updates.  I remember fondly the days when the
ZoneAlarm icon never blinked except when I was on-line.

--
 JohnW-Mpls