Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
In my experience, if I close the mail window but leave the browser open,
the mail app continues to poll for messages and download them on
schedule (unless I change the settings). I still get the little envelope
in the tray when incoming messages arrive, and if I then open the mail
app, they've already been downloaded and are ready to read.

And I, too, have periodic freezes that seem to coincide with the
downloading of mail. I mostly notice these when playing videos, which is
a CPU-intensive process. In that case, the only way to recover is to
pause the video and restart it from the point where it froze (once it
freezes, it stays frozen). Audio is not affected.

I must say that if it is mailnews that is causing these freezes (and messing up the browser) this is a very strong reason not to use SeaMonkey.

But surely it should be possible to run the mailnews downloads at low enough priority that they do not interfere with more performance-critical stuff.

But why are you so sure that it is mailnews downloads that is causing the
problem?

--
David Wilkinson