Fri, 29 Jul 2011 16:28:59 -0700, /David E. Ross/:

On the other hand, I installed Remember Passwords 1.0.1 and tested it.
With it disabled, some passwords were blocked and not saved.  With it
enabled, I have not yet encountered a failure to save passwords.  It
works even for split logins.

The problem with split logins left is it doesn't automatically enable autocomplete and remembering of the username field, because there's no password field on the form to reliably detect this is an username field, therefore associate it with login details.

It would be unwise to unconditionally enable autocomplete everywhere at least for stuff like CVV (Card Verification Value). In such cases one could manually opt-in to remember the username field value by means of "remember password" bookmarklet, or similar solution removing autocomplete="off" from all forms/form fields. It would still require two manual actions, next - removing autocomplete="off" again to enable to autocomplete of the username filed, then click in the field to insert the remembered value.

While the Remember Passwords extension seems enough for traditional cases like username/password fields in one form, and for the lone password field on split logins, I wonder whether extensions like Secure Login [1] or QuickPasswords [2] don't provide more complete solution (haven't tried them myself yet) including handling of the lone username on split logins and dynamically generated forms - does anyone have experience with these?

[1] https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/secure-login/
[2] https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/quickpasswords/

--
Stanimir