OK, I think I've solved it; I've had 12 hours without trouble.

Strange thing is, it had nothing to do with the Trash folder. Here's what I did:

In SM, I created a temporary mail folder and dragged and dropped all messages from the Inbox to that folder. I closed SM and deleted the Inbox and the corresponding index file Index.msf. I restarted SM and compacted folders, then dragged and dropped the messages from the temporary folder back to Inbox and deleted the temporary folder.

Why this worked, I can't say, but I've deleted over a hundred messages from various folders in this account in the past 12 hours and none of them has given me any trouble.

Paul B. Gallagher