MCBastos wrote:
Interviewed by CNN on 30/09/2012 08:06, Tom Pamin told the world:
Tom Pamin wrote:
I just tried Checkplaces. I'm still getting a huge number of false
errors - like 312 DNS errors out of 2200 bookmarks. When I check these
with SM, they all open normally. Any suggestions?

One more bit of info - I just tried AM-Deadlink using my IE Favorites. I
still get a large numgber of false errors. So it looks like it's not a
SM only problem.

Well, it *might* be something wrong with your DNS setup. Perhaps you are
using a DNS server that's just too slow, and it fails to respond on time
to a percentage of the requests. AM-Deadlink and CheckPlaces, since they
are testing lots of sites at once, are probably less tolerant of slow
DNS servers than the browsers themselves.

If you are using the DNS server assigned automatically by your ISP, that
may be the source of the problem. ISP's DNS servers are often lacking in
some way or another. There are several widely-available DNS providers
(all of them free, AFAIK) which might offer better performance.

- Google: https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/
(see also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Public_DNS )
- DNSAdvantage: http://www.dnsadvantage.com
(see also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNS_Advantage )
- OpenDNS: http://www.opendns.com/
(see also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDNS )
- Comodo: http://www.comodo.com/secure-dns/
(see also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comodo_SecureDNS )
- Symantec/Norton: https://dns.norton.com/dnsweb/homePage.do
(see also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norton_DNS )

Choosing one of them might not be easy, particularly if you don't care
much for the "extra" features that some of them offer, like blocking
undesirable sites, and are interested only on performance. I know of two
tools that will test several DNS servers and inform on performance and
other issues:

Steve Gibson's DNS Benchmark:
http://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

Namebench (open source):
http://code.google.com/p/namebench/

Thanks alot for the help. I used to use OpenDNS but I got away from it. I just tried it now, and both Deadlink and CheckPlaces are working much better. I also increased the timeout period. Now I hope I like OpenDNS enough to keep it. Otherwise I'll try one of the other ones you suggested.