Ray_Net wrote:
Ed Mullen wrote, On 19/04/2013 02:47:
Ray_Net wrote:
Philip TAYLOR wrote, On 18/04/2013 20:22:

M Gordon wrote:

It would certainly stop a lot of complaints and problems after a user
downloads and installs the latest version of SM, only to find out
1/3 of
the application is broke.
That same 1/3 is used in the e-mail client when composing
in HTML, and the e-mail client suffers from the same bug :
it is not possible to delete a row of a table in 2.17.1.

Philip Taylor
Who's care ? :-)

Due to the constant decreasing quality of composer .... HTML SM mail
will at a certain time become unusuable.
At that time, we were obliged to work in pure text only - the next step
is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_tape to send TELEX :-)

Nonsense.  I'm having no trouble sending email in html (my default).

So, you are able to Delete Table Rows or Cells ... tell us what is your
method ?

There are various work-arounds shown in the Bugzilla refs cited. And they all work. And the issue, in the GUI, will be fixed shortly.

And, frankly, given that Mozilla has given up on Composer, like, what? A decade ago? Why are we even discussing it?

Well, okay. Because Composer ought to have been stripped out of SeaMonkey long ago as an abandoned component. It isn't utile, it isn't being supported, it produces horrible HTML and CSS (if at all).

This is a mid-1990s code/app that ought to be tossed on the trash heap. It encourages non-compliant Web page creation that will likely break in various browsers. And this from a goup that prides itself on compatability.

As of Daniel's following comment, yes. I rarely (some odd conversion routines) use Composer (or the other variants) other than to check complaints here but I DO check the complaints and functionality. But I could use any of the variants for that too.

Composer ought to be shot in the head. It ought to have been shot in the head 10 years ago.

It sullies the suite/SeaMonkey. Get rid of it. If others want to try to give its marginal value life by working on its code once in a while, fine, let them live with it. Don't sullie SeaMonkey with its inclusion.

It doesn't work.  Period.

And, frankly, no other WYSIWYG thingie produces verifiable code much much more regularly.

If you're using it to produce Web pages I suggest you run them through the W3C Validator:

<javascript:void(window.location='http://validator.w3.org/check?uri='+escape(window.location))>

Save that link above. Open your page created with Composer and click the link.

Finally, the answer is: If you're going to write Web pages, learn how. Don't rely on some ill-written program to spew out broken code.

There has been (and I was doing it in the late 80s and early 90s) an ongoing effort to produce programs that generate code for people who don't know how to do it. With valid output. I don't know of one that does it 100%.

There is no substitute for writing valid code.

And, yes, I do understand that there are arguments about whether HTML and CSS are, indeed, "code." But that's another argument.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/