On 15/11/2013 16:31, Philip Taylor wrote:
Maybe, if rather than writing cryptic messages such as "is their any way
to delete an account from g contacts sink", users could be
encouraged/educated/whatever to write along the lines of :

"Hi.  I downloaded the 'g contacts' program from <URL>, and
I am trying to use it to synchronise my Gmail contacts with
my Seamonkey address book, but there is one particular contact
that I don't want to synchronise and I can find no way of
deleting this one entry.  Are there any 'g contacts' users
who might be able to help me ?"

then we might all benefit.  The person with the problem will
almost certainly receive useful advice, and the rest of us
will be saved from having to try to guess to what utility
he/she is referring, and also be saved from having to guess
what he/she is really trying to accomplish.

Very true but there could be a valid reason why someone has difficulty with language and why it isn't easy or possible for "users [to] be encouraged/educated/whatever ..."

You are at Royal Holloway, University of London, judging by your email address (staff perhaps?). I have a degree level education. It means both of us have a good command of English. It's easy in those circumstances to be impatient with anyone who doesn't have the same command. Yes, I would have been impatient too /but/ I have a son with ASD who has excellent spelling but a most convoluted way of speaking, especially when it's something he doesn't know how to describe.and a dyslexic dau who is very probably ASD too who has wayward spelling and lousy communication skills. You'd probably have a hard time understanding either of them but it isn't really all that hard, not if you take the time with them. Believe me it hurts knowing both struggle with language, to make sense of the world around them, and knowing my dau feels defeated because of attitudes towards her because of her lack of language ability.

There are many reasons why someone might struggle: ASD, dyslexia, stroke, age, non native speaker, and so on, or a combination of factors.

Please, people, be patient with those less skilled than yourself be it in IT, English, etc.

--
Connie
http://oursalmons.wordpress.com/