Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
Mort wrote:

Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
OK, what happens at those sites if you change your pref at Edit |
Preferences | Privacy & Security | Cookies to "Block cookies"? Can you
still login?

Hi Paul,

I tried blocking cookies, as per your above advice. I then tried a site,
and got an onscreen message that I must turn on the cookies in order to
log on to that site. After I unblocked the cookies, then I did indeed
gain automatic entry to that site.

OK, that's normal.

From my perspective, there must be cookies sitting on my hard drive
that do not appear in my cookie manager.

Again, I used to have a dozen or so new cookies on my manager each day,
and I selectively deleted some. Since updating to SM 2.23, my cookie
manager has had zero cookies listed. That is the mystery that I cannot
fathom.

OK, let's make absolutely sure they're really not there in Cookie
Manager. If so, I'm out of ideas.

1) When you launch the Cookie Manager, there should be a narrow column
on the left with three things at the top:
     Cookies only
     Search domains
     Domain
Right? Confirm that it's wide enough and tall enough to see its contents?

2) If this is what you see, then below that there should be a list of
domains that have set cookies. Right? Or is the list blank?

If the list is blank, CM thinks you have no stored cookies.

3) If the list is not blank, selecting any domain by clicking it should
show its cookies in the wider pane on the right. Right? Confirm that
it's wide enough and tall enough to see its contents?

Note also that domains can sometimes set things on the "Preferences" tab
that don't show up on the "Cookies" tab. Typically these are things like
browser zoom factor. You might rule that out by pulling down
"Preferences" on the left instead of "Cookies," but I really don't think
that's your issue.

Hi Paul,

You hit the nail on the head. Each domain that I clicked on gave a bunch of cookies in the large right pane. That is very helpful, for now I can systematically delete any unwanted cookies. I am still perplexed as to why the cookies list no longer appears as a general list in the right pane , as it used to before getting SM 2.23.

In any event, thanks very much for all your help and your patience as well.

Mort Linder