Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
Mort wrote:
Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
Trane Francks wrote:
On 1/14/14 8:05 AM +0900, Mort wrote:
Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
A Williams wrote:

Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
Mort wrote:

I have a recent cookie problem, and will be grateful for any help.
I'm running Windows XP SP3 Pro, and Windows 7 Pro.

Presumably on two different machines with two different SM
installations?

I have my setting to accept all cookies. Until a few weeks ago,
when
I clicked on the cookie manager, a list of on-board cookies
appeared,and I could then delete as I wished. Now, the cookie
manager list is blank. The only change that I made was to
upgrade to
SM 2.23.

Is there any way to make those on-board cookies appear in my
cookie
manager, so that I could delete the undesirable ones?

If the list is blank, what reason do you have to think they are
present?

You are looking at this the wrong way.
The Cookie Manager behaves the same way as the Password Manager and
there was a big discussion here on the somewhat broken
functionality a
couple of months ago.  I can't remember which Seamonkey level first
changed things but I think it was the one immediately after the
level
which was skipped after that server crash.

I was assuming Mort knew how to look for cookies in the Data Manager.
Now we know for sure he does. Let's wait and see what he says.

Hi,

Perhaps I was not clear enough. After each session on line with the
previous SM version, when I opened the Cookie Manager(Data Manager)
there appeared a lengthy list of cookies that were acquired in that
session. I then typically deleted all of them.

Since I recently updated to the latest SM (2.23), the Cookie Manager
always comes out blank. No settings were changed. I cannot figure out
why I no longer see a cookies list any more. Are they no longer
acquired, or are they acquired and somehow hidden?

Thanks.

Mort Linder

I think the problem you're experiencing is the way the new Data Manager
works. In looking at it, there no longer seems to be any means of
seeing
session-related cookies. One can only look via domains, which is pretty
useless to see who gave you what during a session.

I have SM set to allow only session cookies, and I routinely see them in
the Cookie Manager. Unfortunately, you can't see all cookies in a common
pool, you can only see them one... domain... at... a... time. So the
only way to be sure you have no surviving cookies is to examine each of
the domains listed in the left-hand pane of the Cookie Manager. When you
delete all a domain's cookies, that domain vanishes from the list, and
when no domains are listed, that means no cookies are stored.

To Mort's question, it's hard to speculate what happened without knowing
your previous version. Cookie handling has changed over the years, and
if you upgraded from, say, Netscape 4.7, a lot has changed. ;-)

Still, my earlier question is valid: if you see nothing in the Cookie
Manager, what makes you think SM is storing cookies? For example, are
you able to login to sites that require cookies even though nothing
shows in the CM?

You might also examine your prefs under Edit | Preferences | Privacy &
Security | Cookies and make sure your settings are as you would like.

Thanks Trane and Paul for the new information. The mystery to me is why
cookies always appeared in the cookie manager and had to be manually
deleted by me, up to the previous SM version. Now with 2.23, suddenly no
more cookies appear in the cookie manager, with no other changes. Are
the cookies being acquired by my PC and not listed, or are they no
longer being acquired?

"For example, are you able to login to sites that require cookies even
though nothing shows in the CM?"

How do I know which sites require cookies for me to log into?

Thanks.

Mort Linder