WaltS wrote:
DoctorBill wrote:
Paul wrote:
DoctorBill wrote:
How do I find other Newsgroups HERE ?

I used to be able to bring up a Big List of
available News Groups to subscribe to, but I
forgot how to do that a long ago.

Specifically looking for something to replace
Windows XP Annoyances which is now defunct.

I have to find out why an "Enter Password"
window keeps relentlessly popping up.

DoctorBill

Wow !  I didn't expect so many responses!

I guess I need to explain it better....don't know
the buzzwords.
On the left of my Mail window is a pane titled
"Names".
In that pane are my e-mail accounts and "Local
Folders" and "News.Outlook.Express".
Under (within) "News.Outlook.Express" is
"m.s.seamonkey" - this group to whom I am
messaging.

A LONG time ago, I used to be able to get a huge
list of various newsgroups (?) with all sorts of
subjects in them to choose from - except I forgot
HOW to get to them.
This "News.Outlook.Express" has Mozilla and
Netscape as subgroups (right term?) -   that is
all I can pull up with the subscribe function.

To be honest - I don't even remember how I got to
this Newsgroup !  It was set up ages ago and still
survives - as I do at 71.

I am trying to get to a group like this that can
explain why Windows XP keeps asking for a program
password w/o the program being activated.
It is like Win XP remembers an unrelated action
and repeats it ad nausium.

DoctorBill

Better explanation.
I have a lot of stuff stored as Screenshots (jpg
files) of Bank and Stock Market data.
I have a program to view and manipulate these
files (Graphics Workshop Pro - [GWP]).
I have "Hide Files and Folders (HFF)" which
conceals whatever folders you set it up to conceal.
I have set HFF to hide the folders that the GWP
can read - so only I can access them with a
password.
I invoke HFF and it asks for a password.  i
provide the password.
HFF opens and I click on "Unhide" - now I can
open GWP and access my secret files.
When I am done, I invoke HFF, enter the password
and click "HIDE".  Then exit HFF.
Back to no one can see them - hidden (how I
don't know!)
Better ?
I know this is not for this Newsgroup - I'm only
asking HOW to find a Win XP newsgroup !

DoctorBill

As mentioned by several people, first add a
newserver, then
to that server add the group:
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

"As mentioned by several people, first add a
 > newserver, I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO DO THAT
then to that server add the group:
 > microsoft.public.windowsxp.general  AGAIN - HOW?"  DoctorBill

Decide what Usenet news server you want to use. Free or fee?

Get all the information you need to configure the news server.

Press F1 to bring up SeaMonkey help.

Look for "Using Mail and Newsgroups" in left hand "Contents" pane.

 From the results in the right hand pane select "Getting Started with
SeaMonkey Mail & Newsgroups", select "Setting up Additional Mail and
News Accounts".

I sure you can follow the directions from there.

Microsoft closed its Usenet groups some time ago and replaced them with forums.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

Just use a browser to access them.

Also:

http://forums.cnet.com/windows-xp-forum/