Ron Hunter wrote:
On 5/14/2014 9:48 PM, Ed Mullen wrote:
Rufus wrote:
PhillipJones wrote:
Rufus wrote:
Ron Hunter wrote:
On 5/13/2014 4:41 PM, Philip Taylor wrote:

Rufus wrote:

...I'd like to see all of the bugs that are preventing me from
using
the
Profile Manager fixed, and for SM to actually use my pref setting
for
Master Password.

And fix the bug for following on-disk paths for .html files so I
can
stop having to use Safari to open my Epson Help manual.

And my wish is even simpler :  that all documented bugs are fixed
before
any further "development" takes place.

Philip Taylor

Philip, there is no such thing as bugless software of the
complexity of
SeaMonkey.  If you tried to do what you ask, then no further
development
would ever take place, and the browser would soon become unusable as
the
web slowly changed.

...personally, I don't think SM is all that "complex"...it's not
like it
does 3D graphic presentations with interactive panning and rotation or
anything math-intensive like that.

Still Rather Complex to do Email Newsgroup Web Browsing ant one it
could
do FTP.

Not really...you write three routines, and one routine to drive them
all.

I used to do that with my engineering homework...I'd code each
assignment as a subroutine and as the semester went on I'd just choose
the function I needed form the previous assignment and write a driver to
call them as needed to get the result for the next assignment.

My prof used to ask why I had to write such "fancy code"..."why don't
you just do the assignment".  He never caught on that by doing things as
I had the assignments actually were getting easier as he gave them out -
copy, cut, paste, script.

That's why he taught and, I suspect, you worked and made money.
Education vs. real world.  Academia vs. life.

That's why I like to see educators come into teaching after retiring
from business.  For a few years, they are great as they have real world
experience.  Then their experience grows less useful because the
technology changes, and they need to retire again.
That's why schools like to see their educators continue to work toward
higher degrees, or doing research...

There are severe financial impacts in the USA for going into teaching after first having a career - you lose the entirety of your Social Security benefit...because teachers don't pay Social Security tax and the benefit is based on consecutive quarters to retirement. So there's a true dis-incentive...at least in the USA.

I found this out when my Dad retired - he was a teacher. I was stunned.

--
     - Rufus