Ron Hunter wrote:
On 5/15/2014 8:24 PM, Rufus wrote:
Ron Hunter wrote:
On 5/14/2014 9:48 PM, Ed Mullen wrote:
Rufus wrote:
PhillipJones wrote:
Rufus wrote:
Ron Hunter wrote:
On 5/13/2014 4:41 PM, Philip Taylor wrote:
Still Rather Complex to do Email Newsgroup Web Browsing ant one it
could
do FTP.

Not really...you write three routines, and one routine to drive them
all.

I used to do that with my engineering homework...I'd code each
assignment as a subroutine and as the semester went on I'd just choose
the function I needed form the previous assignment and write a
driver to
call them as needed to get the result for the next assignment.

My prof used to ask why I had to write such "fancy code"..."why don't
you just do the assignment".  He never caught on that by doing
things as
I had the assignments actually were getting easier as he gave them
out -
copy, cut, paste, script.

That's why he taught and, I suspect, you worked and made money.
Education vs. real world.  Academia vs. life.

That's why I like to see educators come into teaching after retiring
from business.  For a few years, they are great as they have real world
experience.  Then their experience grows less useful because the
technology changes, and they need to retire again.
That's why schools like to see their educators continue to work toward
higher degrees, or doing research...

There are severe financial impacts in the USA for going into teaching
after first having a career - you lose the entirety of your Social
Security benefit...because teachers don't pay Social Security tax and
the benefit is based on consecutive quarters to retirement.  So there's
a true dis-incentive...at least in the USA.

I found this out when my Dad retired - he was a teacher. I was stunned.

Hummm.  I subbed for 5 years.  No effect on my SS because I didn't start
teaching until I was already on SS.

That was probably your out - my Dad managed to work enough quarters after he retired by starting his own biz, but his SS check is only about $65/mo...he put in the time mainly to qual for the medical bennies.

There was a spot on the evening news here a few years back about some CA nurses that had retired and gone on to full time teaching careers only to get old enough to apply for SS and find out they got zip...nothing, nada. So if you're planning to make a full-time second career out of teaching in the USA you better get tenured and have a pension, because your bennie from your first career is negated.

--
     - Rufus