On Thu, 2 Oct 2014, Bret Busby wrote:

Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2014 16:29:00
From: Bret Busby <b...@busby.net>
To: "support-seamonkey@lists.mozilla.org"
    <support-seamonkey@lists.mozilla.org>
Subject: RE: Seamonkey as .deb package

On Wed, 1 Oct 2014, Bret Busby wrote:

Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2014 23:41:17
From: Bret Busby <b...@busby.net>
To: "support-seamonkey@lists.mozilla.org"
    <support-seamonkey@lists.mozilla.org>

On Tue, 30 Sep 2014, James Mc wrote:

Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2014 04:32:22
From: James Mc <spaceknig...@hotmail.com>
To: "support-seamonkey@lists.mozilla.org"
    <support-seamonkey@lists.mozilla.org>

If you are still looking for a deb package...

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ubuntuzilla/files/mozilla/apt/pool/main/s/seamonkey-mozilla-build/

“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

James
Indiana

Hello.

Thank you for the link.

I will try it when I next boot up the Debian 7 system (which, at present, happens about once a month, for a couple of hours, due to what is involved).

Regarding the proverb that you have included above, I believe that the originator is wrong; if people do nothing, and allow evil, then they are not good; they are complicit in the evil.

My simplified (and, I believe, more accurate) version of that proverb, is

"Evil flourishes where apathy prevails"
.

Unfortunately, the version 2.29 of Seamonkey at the above link, appears to be not a working version.

I downloaded and installed it, then found that a british english dictionary is not available (spellchecking for outgoing email, is useful, but, does not prevent the sending of badly spelled messages in the absence of a spellchecking dictionary) for the version 2.29, but, also found that the mail component would not either create a Sent messages folder, or, copy sent messages to that folder (which it would not create).

I have separate outgoing (IMAP) and incoming (SMTP) servers, but, in trying different combinations of settings, including the settings that I have been successfully using in iceape on Debian 6, I could not get Seamonkey 2.29 mail, working on Debian 7 amd64 LXDE.

So, after having spent about an hour, trying unsuccessfully to get the mail facility set up in Seamonkey 2.29, I have had to give up, and write it off as unusable.

I have now apparently solved the problem of the Sent folder.

The settings defaulted to creating the folder (and, a Drafts folder, and, I think, maybe another one) within the mail account set up in setting up the mail facility within Seamonkey.

However, also present, and, available as an option, is to replace the mail account directory hierarchy option, with the Local Folders option.

I selected that option, for each of the folders to be set up (apart from the Inbox), and that appears to have worked, with the Sent folder being created within the Local Folders hierarchy, and, a copy of a sent test message, apparently being written to that Sent folder.

I use multiple email applications for composing and sending outgoing email, which goes through the SMTP server that is separate to the incoming (IMAP) mail server that is with a different Internet service provider (ISP) (the SMTP server is with the ISP that provides me with acces to the Internet, and, the IMAP server is with the ISP that hosts my domain names and thence, incoming email).

I use the email application "formerly known as PINE" for my incoming email, and so the email applications that I use to send outgoing email, do not (insofar as I am aware) access the IMAP server.

That has not previously (as far as I remember) affected the setting of the mail folders for copies of composing and sent messages, within the email accoint file hierarchy, but, this appears to be different in Seamonkey 2.29, which apparently, requires the particular folders to be stored within the Local Folders file hierarchy.

So, the problem of not being able to save a copy of sent messages, in a Sent folder, appears to now be overcome.

Now, if only a british english dictionary for spellchecking (and grammar?) for Seamonkey 2.29, would be avail;able, it would be good...

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."