Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
HenriK wrote:
Has anyone on this list using SM successfully set up the e-mail portion
of SM with Verizon FiOS?

As I read Verizon's instructions, they specify:

Server settings:
Server Type: POP Mail Server
Server Name: pop.verizon.net Port: 995 Default 995
User Name: just your name(leave off @verizon.net)

Security Settings
Connection security: SSL/TLS
Authentication method: Normal Password

Outgoing Server(SMTP) settings:
Server Name: smtp.verizon.net
Port: 465
User name: just your name(leave off @verizon.net)
Authentication method: Normal password
Connection Security: SSL/TLS

Having followed these instructions (and I have five other e-mail
accounts already working well with my SM v.2.30 installation), every
time I try to log in to my new FiOS e-mail account I get an
authentication error and can't log into the account.

The settings you describe work fine for me. They're not as secure as
they might be (other possibilities might also exist), but they do work.

Why "not as secure as they might be"? Because of the normal password? You don't need an encrypted password with StartTLS and SSL/TLS because the connection is encrypted *before* the password is sent. Encrypted passwords where useful when the initial connection to the server was unencrypted. In any case the server doesn't save your password, or shouldn't, just has the hash.

--
Take care,

Jonathan