PhillipJones wrote:

RISC - Reduced Instruction Set Computing Very little Code just barely enough to get computer to boot burned into the code. System Code has to tell it practically everything Therefor size is large and Clunky and slow to load even with tons of system Ram But advantage is if you want add features without changing processors, you can. CISC - Complex Instruction Set Computing Most code to do everything is built into chip. System is small Compact and loads very fast even on slow systems. Disadvantage where so much operation code is burned in It is difficult and or impossible add new features without creating a New Chip with new code burned in.

Ahh, the topic of many long battles.

The argument for RISC is:
- if you analyze compiled code, most of it uses a small subset of a CISC instruction set, so why waste the silicon - optimize for blinding fast speed on the reduced instruction set and you come out ahead - I expect it's easier to do things like preemptive look ahead and pre-fetch with a simpler instruction set

The argument for CISC is:
- do it faster in hardware
- write compilers that take advantage of the breadth of the instruction set

There are certainly examples of very successful CPUs in both families - e.g. SPARC for RISC, Intel's entire line for CISC.

I can also recall a couple of cases where very specific CISC instruction sets made a lot of difference: - the old DG Nova's macro-instructions looked very much like micro-instructions, with the ability to do multiple instructions in parallel (e.g., rotate, shift, and compare in one macro-instruction cycle) -- very useful for things like optical character recognition - at one firm, I personally helped develop a set of instructions specialized to high-speed bit twiddling in a radar processing system (back in the days when 4MIPS was blindingly fast, it was pretty much impossible to manipulate nanosecond pulse trains without specialized hardware)

But I digress....

Miles Fidelman