Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
Frog wrote:

Paul B. Gallagher wrote:

When message sending fails, do you get an error message? If so, exactly
what is it, and if you can tell, who's it from? Or does the process just
stall and fail to complete?

Here is what happens when I click send and wait some number of seconds
for the message go to my ISP.

New is displayed as follows:
Login Failed
? Login to server smtp.version.net failed.
Retry_____ Enter new Password_____ Cancel_____

Retry ends with some additional seconds passing and the same message as
above reappearing.

Entering my password starts the send process over ending with the Login
Failed window reappearing.

In that case, you have an authentication failure -- the password you're
sending is not exactly the password the server wants to see.
Double-check every character, and remember that it's case sensitive --
"Password" is different from "password" is different from "PaSsWoRd."
And punctuation must also match exactly. Computers are stupid -- they
only see what you did type, not what you meant to type.

If SeaMonkey is remembering the password for you, you can see it here:
<chrome://passwordmgr/content/passwordManager.xul>
Click the button "Show Passwords" at the lower right and tell SM yes,
you really do want to show them (it'll go back to hiding them as soon as
you close the window). Then enter "verizon" in the search window at
upper left and you should see several entries, one of them like this:

smtp://smtp.verizon.net (smtp://smtp.verizon.net) yourusername
yourpassword ...

You may find it convenient to type out the password in Notepad so you
can see it and double-check it; then copy/paste it when SM prompts you
during the sending process.

If this doesn't work, double-check with your ISP what password their
SMTP server wants to see. It might not be what you think it is.

Good News...I can now send messages again. I decided to return to Verizon for another settings verification. Another check of my system (by the Verizon tech) found nothing wrong with my settings. The tech told me up front that she had little knowledge or experience with SeaMonkey or Thunderbird. After a number of small Account Setting changes in the Thunderbird Account Settings...followed each time by a failed attempt to send a message, she decided to change the the User Name from my e-mail address (f...@verizon.net (not my real e-mail address) to just frog (deleting @verizon.net). Another test message was sent and it worked. She then made the same change to my SeaMonkey Account Settings and it now works.

I'm not sure what made this change necessary on three separate computers (not networked) at the same time. I believe something was changed at Verizon that caused this problem from the start.

Thanks to all for your help and guidance. You pointed me in the right direction to solve my problem.

Frog