Jonathan N. Little wrote:
Alternatively you could just rename the profile folder to match the INI.

Yep.

There's some who insist on moving the profiles.ini, (and editing to point to the preferred folder), although it's not essential.

My experience is that it's faster/easier to let the profile manager create the profile folder, and do the necessary update to profiles.ini file, and then just interact with the contents of the profile itself.

Relative to the original question, I think the most compelling reason to use MozBackup, rather than copying a profile, would be how comfortable an individual user is with poking at folder-level data within a profile.

Given that Windows normally handles %APPDATA% as hidden, then it makes things a little harder for a non-technical user to find the right location, and that doesn't count the work of disambiguation necessary to work around the specifics of a user name, to find the correct folder. Ultimately, Microsoft intends for end-users to interact with application data through an application, and not directly, and Mozilla has chosen to follow this (at least as a default option). And for what it's worth, *nix installations follow this procedure, where the default location is in a hidden folder (I'm not fluent enough with Mac, to remember how Mac installations are handled).

Smith