On 8/22/2017 9:20 AM, null wrote:
WaltS48 wrote:
On 8/22/17 7:17 AM, null wrote:
There seems to be a kind of war going on between the proponents of Adobe Flash, something open source called Webm, and the HTML5 player.

Increasingly videos from this or that source will not play in either SM or FF.

For instance, recent videos posted to Youtube increasingly will not play in SM 2.46. Instead, an error message says "Your browser does not currently recognize and of the video formats available. Click here to visit our frequently asked questions about HTML5 video."

The same problem occurs in FF 52.3.0.

Going to the offered Youtube FAQ, the information there is confusing and inadequate - it does not tell me exactly what I have to do or what I need in order to play video that apparently wants the HTML player . . . whatever exactly that is!

Chrome 49.0.2623.112 *will* run the *same* videos that the others won't.

What is going on here!? Very difficult to get any clear explanation about this.

Can anyone explain?

Do you have HTML5 support?

<https://www.youtube.com/html5>

What is checked there?

Using SM, The page asks the question "What does this browser support?"

The following boxes are ticked :
HTMLVideoElement
Media Source Extensions
WebM VP8
MSE & WebM  VP9

The following boxes have an exclamation mark in them :
H.264
MSE & H.264

Do I have HTML5 support? From the above, I'm unclear.

You could also try installing K-Lite Codec pack basic.