On 8/22/2017 1:15 PM, Steve Dunn wrote:
On 2017-08-22 10:20, null wrote:
WaltS48 wrote:
Do you have HTML5 support?

<https://www.youtube.com/html5>

What is checked there?

Using SM, The page asks the question "What does this browser support?"

The following boxes are ticked :
HTMLVideoElement
Media Source Extensions
WebM VP8
MSE & WebM  VP9

The following boxes have an exclamation mark in them :
H.264
MSE & H.264

Do I have HTML5 support? From the above, I'm unclear.

    You do, but you are missing one of the most common codecs, which may be the problem.  There are numerous codecs (COmpressors-DECompressors) for video, much like there are for audio, and you need to have at least one in common with whatever codecs the site you're visiting supports.

    To put it in a non-technical analogy, HTML5 support is like the Roman alphabet and the codecs (VP8, VP9, H.264, etc.) are like languages.  If I know the Roman alphabet and two languages that use it (say, English and French) but the site only has videos in two other languages that also use the Roman alphabet (say, Swedish and Romanian), well, that won't work.

    My 32-bit Seamonkey 2.46 running on 64-bit Windows 7 has checkmarks in all of those boxes, and has no problem playing videos on Youtube. That does lend credence to the theory that it's because you're missing H.264.

    Years ago, I saw a recommendation for the K-Lite Codec Pack and I installed it on my computer.  Maybe that's the difference.

-Steve

Likely. K-Lite install codecs for *all* variants.