Mason83 wrote:
On 26/08/2017 08:14, null wrote:

Anyway, thanks to the stuff on your links, I now get the general idea
that "an HTML5. video player" refers to software that resides on _the
server_, and uses HTML5 rather than flash or webM to do . . . well . . .
whatever it does that results in my browser getting a data feed that it
can display on my screen as a video.
Not quite. Javascript runs on the client (your browser).
And the video stream (typically a WebM or MP4 container)
is "decapsulated" on the host, and the compressed audio
and video streams are decompressed and sent to the
audio layer and frame buffer of the host.

There is no HTML5 vs WebM. HTML5 video specifies a standard
way to ... interact with a video stream (typically in a
container, but elementary streams might be supported).

I've noticed that my problem playing some Youtube videos seems to
frequently arise with current affairs videos. Just now went to Youtube
and found the following, which will not play and gives the error message
discussed earlier in this thread. And with JavaScript turned off, I
don't even get the error message, just a blank, black window.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfImP6jr28g
That's an MP4 container with H.264-encoded video.
They don't specify the audio codec, I'll bet AAC.

Regards.
That "test" video at the above link has unfortunately been removed by the user.

When you right click on the settings button on the Youtube window, you get an option for geeks which when selected gives info about the video. However, it doesn't seem to give the sort of info you cite above. Where did you get that from?