FRG

null wrote:
WaltS48 wrote:
On 8/25/17 12:55 PM, null wrote:
Chris Ilias wrote:
On 2017-08-22 7:17 AM, null wrote:
There seems to be a kind of war going on between the proponents of Adobe Flash, something open source called Webm, and the HTML5 player.

HTML5 is not a media player. It's a language used for writing webpages. The new HTML standard (number 5) allows browsers to play video without the need for a third-party plugin, like Flash, similar to how you don't need a plugin to view images. For more info, this video does a good job explaining it <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsXEVQRaTX8>.

Since that video was published, Adobe has announced plans to kill Flash.

As others have pointed out, the reason why you're having trouble with HTML5 videos is because modern web browsers require something later than Windows XP for HTML5 videos.

Glad you said that HTML5 is not a media player. I never thought there really was an HTML5 player. I only cited it in my original post because people keep using the term as if there was!

There are many video players that one can install on the HD, but there is nothing called the HTML Player. Wish Youtube and various people who write about these things would stop talking as though there was!!

For instance, just found a Youtube video that I can't play, says my browser (SM) does not recognize any of the video formats available. When I click on the link proved in the message to get info about HTML5 video, I get a Youtube help page that says "You can request that the HTML5 player be used if your browser doesn't use it by default" That nonsensical statements implies 1) that something called the HTML Player exists - it doesn't - and 2) fails to explain exactly how I can "request" that the HTML player be used! Further down, there is another reference to "The HTML5 player." These statements referring to "the HTML player" are to me completely meaningless - I have no idea what they are supposed to mean - yet they are put there by Youtube as if what is said is quite clear. The page also says that my SM browser does support HTMLVideoElement, Media Source Extensions, and MSE & WebM VP9, but does not support H.264 or MSE & H.264. So what, exactly, are the implications of this information? I don't know, and Youtube doesn't say.

Are you blocking JavaScript?

<http://videojs.com/>

<http://html5video.org/wiki/HTML5_Video_Player_Comparison>

I'm not blocking JavaScript. However, as a test, I have tried turning it off in the SM config, but it makes no practical difference to the video problem.

Thanks for the above links, the contents of which have finally thrown some light on what people REALLY mean when they talk about the "HTML5 video player", but somehow can't seem to say it clearly. For instance, the videojs site says that

"Video.js is an open source library for working with video on the web, also known as an *HTML video player."

*What, exactly, is this ungrammatical and ambiguous sentence actually trying to tell me? Grammatically, one possibility is that working with video on the web is also known as an HTML video player, but that makes no semantic sense at all. Other possible but only slightly more meaningful interpretations come to mind, but I won't waste trying trying to explicate those.

Anyway, thanks to the stuff on your links, I now get the general idea that "an HTML5. video player" refers to software that resides on _the server_, and uses HTML5 rather than flash or webM to do . . . well . . . whatever it does that results in my browser getting a data feed that it can display on my screen as a video.

I've noticed that my problem playing some Youtube videos seems to frequently arise with current affairs videos. Just now went to Youtube and found the following, which will not play and gives the error message discussed earlier in this thread. And with JavaScript turned off, I don't even get the error message, just a blank, black window.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfImP6jr28g