Richard Owlett wrote:

I use User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:51.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/51.0 SeaMonkey/2.48 on a Debian Stretch machine with the MATE desktop.

I've never used youtube before.
I received a link to a youtube video <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82_bPWyrPFc> which played fine.

I did not have time to watch the whole video.
How can I download and save it?
    Its content is something I will wish to review and my data cap is
    low enough that I can not just repeatedly access it If I didn't get
    some point the creator was making.
Is there some way to pause a video if I'm interrupted?

If the interruption is brief, use the video's own pause button (the same place as the play button at the lower left corner of the vid).

If the interruption is longer, the rest of the vid will continue to (down)load while it's paused, up to the point where it's all buffered for you to play. So if you need to take a call for a couple of minutes, that can work, provided you plan to watch until the end after you finish the call.

But if you really need to leave and come back a day later or something, note the time you've reached and close the browser so it'll stop loading. Then when you return, you can go to the same link, but as soon as it begins to load, mouse over the progress bar at the bottom, find the time where you want to resume, and click there. That way, it'll only begin loading from that point.

If you're watching and need to replay something, don't worry. Backing up (use the left arrow key) will just replay from the buffer, which is video you've already downloaded. It won't reload each time you replay it. In fact, you can replay the entire 41 minutes as many times as you like while the browser is open, because it remains in the cache until you close the browser (and maybe longer, depending on your settings at Edit | Preferences | Privacy & Security | Private Data). So for example, you could watch 20 minutes, hit pause, go to dinner and a movie with the browser sitting there open, and return hours later and unpause it to watch the last 21 minutes without reloading anything.

HTH

Paul B. Gallagher