Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
EE wrote:

Paul B. Gallagher wrote:

Buttons? I didn't even realize they had buttons. I just use "J"...

And of course if I open a junk message, there's a little message at the top saying that SM considers it junk, with a button to mark as not junk. But I can't remember the last time I opened a junk message. Why would I?

Who says you have to open the message?  Just select it in the message list and click the button.

If I select a message, it's displayed in the preview pane and marked as read. To avoid that, I have to first toggle the preview pane off by clicking the grippy on the boundary. Fortunately, I have the good sense to block the display of remote images, so if I open a junk message by mistake, it can't "phone home" using a web beacon.

My display hides the mail toolbar to save space, since I normally use keyboard shortcuts such as "N" (next unread message), "M" (mark as read), etc. If I show the mail toolbar, I see the "Junk" and "Mark" buttons, but I was unaware of their existence since I don't normally show the toolbar. Hence my joking query.

To keep a message from opening in the preview pane when you select it just right-click the message and then in the drop down box select Junk or Not Junk. The selected message will not display in the preview pane during this operation.