On 12/10/18 4:04 PM, Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:
Ed Mullen wrote:
Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
Daniel wrote:

As shown in my Sig-file, I dual boot Win7 and Linux.

Normally when I open SM, on either OS, I start the M&N and Chatzilla screens and then, if needed, I manually open a Browser Screen.

Today, I was going to download a new MageiaLinux OS, Ver 7 Beta, on my current Linux OS, by connecting to my sisters Wireless System, so didn't want my M&N checking my Mail as my ISP would charge me extra for getting my Mail via a third party, So, before connecting to the Internet, I started SM and reduced my Mail Account to just its name and then went into Prefs and set "Appearance" to just start the Browser when I clicked on the SM Desktop icon.

I closed SM, connected to the wireless Internet and then started SM and the browser came up, as desired.

Then I clicked on the M&N icon in the lower left of the screen, so I could open my UseNet account and go to the Mageia group so I could get the address to get the OS download from. However, when the M&N screen opened, my mail account was expanded, so I'm guessing SM tried to get my mail, via my sister's ISP, which is going to cost me extra.

If I close the e-mail account so it's just a single line, and then close SM and then open SM (browser only) and then open the M&N screen, should to mail account be open ... and a signal sent off to collect any mail??

If this is the case, then how come SM M&N doesn't also open with the 'Local Folders' and my two other news accounts (including this Mozilla server) open and getting any messages from those accounts??

In my experience, as long as any component of SM is open, it will try to get mail on schedule. Been there, done that, got the tee shirt.

Actually, my experience is that if you open the browser only, no mail is downloaded until you then open the mail component of SM.

I just checked that (starting another machine at a time when mails were outstanding) and - no, the green arrow on the left of the mail symbol appeared after a few seconds.

Did you disable getting mail on startup for each mail account before testing?

I think that would require a restart and hoping you have new mail waiting to be downloaded for an account.

--
OS: Linux Mint 19 - Cinnamon Desktop
Rex called Don lazy and dumb as a rock in a much nicer way.