Ed Mullen wrote:

Paul B. Gallagher wrote:

In my experience, as long as any component of SM is open, it will try to get mail on schedule. Been there, done that, got the tee shirt.

Actually, my experience is that if you open the browser only, no mail is downloaded until you then open the mail component of SM.

This may be due to a difference in settings. My default on launching SM is mail/news, so the only way I can get to browser alone is to launch SM, open the browser, and close mail/news. Perhaps M/N behaves like a TSR and only appears to be closed while secretly remaining open.

Edit | Preferences | Appearance
When SeaMonkey starts up, open
[ ] Browser
[x] Mail & Newsgroups