David H. Durgee wrote:
Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:
David H. Durgee wrote:
Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:
David H. Durgee wrote:
Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:
David H. Durgee wrote:
On occasion I am encountering cases where my email becomes
"constipated"
here with SM 2.49.4 on linux mint 18.3 x64.  This happens after SM is
running for a while.  When the problem occurs I notice that I am
seeing
no new email downloaded for an unusual period of time.  At that
point if
I go and and request a download of new messages I will get some
strange
message about UIDL and other things not being supported on the mail
server.

I attempted to clear this by closing the news/mail window and then
re-opening it, but that accomplishes nothing.  Closing SM entirely
and
restarting it corrects this problem and I then get a download of all
messages that were waiting on the mail servers.

Is anyone else seeing this?  Is this a known bug?  Are there any
actions
I can take to avoid this problem?  If it is a know problem, when
will it
be fixed?

Dave

I'd never even heard of UIDL but
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2446961 and another
link from 1996 told me a bit more.
A question: How many mails have you already received in the session
before this happens?

Don't know or keep track.  I have six different email accounts
monitored, some POP3 and some IMAP here.  It is usually several days
after I restart SM and occurs infrequently.  I normally only restart SM
when the memory leaks use so much excess memory that it makes sense to
do so.

https://www.emailarchitect.net/eagetmail/sdk/html/object_uidl.htm
is for
people writing mail clients but it helped my understanding of the
issue.
    I just ignored the programming stuff.

   From the error message I get it appears that this is part of what is
required to leave messages on the server and keep the server
messages in
sync with your local inbox with deletions.

Don't know if this provides any additional useful information.

Dave

This is way outside my "zone".  My PC runs when I am at home and awake -
or not even then - which is probably typical usage, the number of email
accounts does match though.
The big question is: Is this behaviour inherited from Thunderbird or is
it peculiar to Seamonkey.  Without bothering about pesky things like
evidence, I'll go for Thunderbird.
I suppose you could raise a bug report against Seamonkey, it would then
presumably be reassigned to TB.
When your mail client goes autistic, does that only affect the pop3
accounts or does it affect the imap ones as well?

Well, I just hit the problem this morning.  The exact popup I got was:

The POP3 mail server (pop.verizon.net) does not support UIDL or XTND
XLST, which are required to implement the ``Leave on Server'', ``Maximum
Message Size'' or ``Fetch Headers Only'' options. To download your mail,
turn off these options in the Server Settings for your mail server in
the Account Settings window.

Interestingly, it is only happening to ONE POP3 account.  All other
accounts work normally, both POP3 and IMAP accounts.

In terms of how long it has been running:

hdurgee@Z560 ~ $ ps -ef | grep seamo
dhdurgee 29758  2260 18 Dec12 ?        21:02:07 seamonkey
dhdurgee 30205  4366  0 09:03 pts/1    00:00:00 grep --color=auto seamo
dhdurgee@Z560 ~ $

I will now restart SM and it should go away.

Dave

Do you actually have one of the 'Leave on Server', 'Maximum Message
Size' or 'Fetch Headers Only' options set?
I make routine use of the first one - so that my mails arrive on my PC,
My Laptop and my Android Phone - but close down the PC and Laptop after
just a few hours so have never seen this error.
I do not have a clue if this is a Verizon problem although I rather
doubt it.  You survive almost 4 days.

Andrew

I do have "Leave on Server" and "Until I delete them" checked.  I do so
so that I have the option to access them remotely when out of the office.

Dave

At least the error-message is genuine.
I'm about to head "off the reservation" for just over two weeks and will not be frequenting this newsgroup during that period. Only a developer could help now anyway, if you want to take things further you will need to file a bug report.

--
spammus ergo sum