MRoss-GMX wrote on 10/15/2019 05:33 AM:
Sat, 12 Oct 2019 00:31 -0400 Jonathan N. Little wrote:
MRoss-GMX wrote:
I could also use one partition on the Lenovo R60e to install a newer
Ubuntu or other package, maybe Lubuntu of at least 14.04 LTS if
available, 16.04 LTS if necessary. If it crashes it is only that
partition, lest GRUB get hurt. I suspect a GRUB problem for a while
now, and no update to it for years. What a mess. I delayed too long.

I think your problem is the GMA 950 old Intel video. Support problems
with newer kernels. You can try editing the boot parameter in grub and add

i915.lvds_use_ssc=0
supposed to fix it.

I wondered about the graphics sys in this thing, so will try it. Been
a while since I edited GRUB. Carefully!

But you do have really old hardware. A newer T430 are going for @
$100-$150 comes with a 3-4 gen i5. I have a L530 I bought a few years
ago $200 running 18.04 no problems.

I am looking for a newer machine, just not up to date on which is
best, and overloaded with other matters.

I have an ASUS desktop with 4GB RAM and an inbuilt Intel Graphics, I am very happy with it......

Thanks!

--
The Best To You & Yours,
M.RossARR

--
Gerard-Jan Vinkesteijn-Rudersdorff

If A equals success, then the formula is A = X + Y + Z.
X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut.
        -- Albert Einstein

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.5 Build identifier: 20190526051124