MRoss-GMX composed on 2019-10-14 25:33 (UTC-0500):

>> Sat, 12 Oct 2019 00:31 -0400 Jonathan N. Little wrote:

>> I think your problem is the GMA 950 old Intel video. Support problems
>> with newer kernels. You can try editing the boot parameter in grub and add

>> i915.lvds_use_ssc=0
>> supposed to fix it.

> I wondered about the graphics sys in this thing, so will try it. Been
> a while since I edited GRUB. Carefully!

>> But you do have really old hardware. A newer T430 are going for @
>> $100-$150 comes with a 3-4 gen i5. I have a L530 I bought a few years
>> ago $200 running 18.04 no problems.

> I am looking for a newer machine, just not up to date on which is
> best, and overloaded with other matters.
GMA was the last Intel GPU generation before Intel moved the GPU from the
Northbridge to the CPU die. Those since then have proven quite reliable with
Linux, and with very respectable performance, not infrequently on par with
higher
cost discrete GPUs from NVidia and AMD.

Don't let yourself get confused with generations. The numbers for the chipsets
and
CPUs are different from those for the GPUs. I use
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_graphics_processing_units for
keeping
things straight.

If you're looking for good value, look for any of the off-lease "refurbs" made
since around 2010. I have 3 Dell Optiplex 760 and 780 models with the last of
the
GMAs (Gen4) that were the first to do x264 video playback in hardware, very
decent
compared to early GMAs like the 950, but newer custom builts from 2013 (Haswell
by
MSI) and 2018 (Kaby Lake by Asus & Gigabyte) that are considerably better. Best
long term value is probably in the 3-4 years old range, Broadwell/Gen8.

Both Intel and AMD are well supported by free drivers, while NVidia continues to
withhold specifications, which forces FOSS driver writers to reverse engineer,
which in turn forces many of its Linux users to use its proprietary drivers that
are often difficult to keep in sync with kernel upgrades.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/