Op 30-10-2019 om 00:08 schreef Frank-Rainer Grahl:
> Hawker wrote:
>> I'm sticking with 2.49.5 right now. I don't really want to move to the
>> newer builds until they are more official I don't think.
>>
>> That said there is an increasing number of websites that no longer
>> work in SM with any UI string that work in FireFox.  I wonder how many
>> of them will be fixed in a newer SM but not sure how much longer I can
>> wait.
>>
>> So what is realistic? Will we have a 2.5x.y build some time in the
>> next 6 months or what is realistic?
>>
>> And if I do want to try something built on a newer engine what version
>> of SM is the safest yet sufficiently newer for Windowz 7?  And where
>> should I get it from?
>>

> We are wanting to do at least 2 2.53.1 betas this year. Basically Bills
> 2.53.1 will become an official release. A few private patches from me /
> Bill and work in progress fixes will be dropped from it then.
>
> http://www.wg9s.com/comm-253/
>
> We are currently fixing and backporting bugs left and right. In parallel
> we are setting up an official gitlab repo for it. We don't want to check
> in around 3000 patches into a release branch in the official mozilla
> repos. The gods owning them might not be amused then.
>
> All fixes for SeaMonkey go into the later branches too but 2.57 is not
> usable yet with mail broken.
>
> Yesterdays 2.53.1 had a bug with mail delete. Next one will fix it.
>
> If you try it please backup your profile. You will not be able to go
> back to 2.49.5. Will be upgraded (compatible with the upcoming official).
>
> If you use a master paxsword remove it before upgrading and reapply later.
>

> FRG

Could you also elaborate a bit on what's realistic for extension
developers? My extension is compatible with Thunderbird 52, 60 and 68,
and also with SeaMonkey 2.49 and 2.53, but in order to be compatible
with multiple versions I detect the Gecko version and that will probably
fail for SeaMonkey 2.53 when it stays on Gecko 52 (or is it 60?) and it
backports functionality from TB/Gecko 60+.

Also TB developers have announced that they will drop support for XUL
overlay extensions in TB 71 beta, so I have little motivation in
updating my extension at all, but I don't want to leave my SeaMonkey
userbase in the cold either...

Onno