Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
Henrik37 wrote:
Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
Henrik37 wrote:

I should have written that both PCs were running SM 2.49.5, NOT 2.95.

Henrik37 wrote:
Oops --

I should have written that both PC's were running SM 2.49.5, NOT 2.49.

Henrik37 wrote:
On my wife's 32 bit PC running Windows Seven Home and SM 2.95, sites frequently fail to load properly and the following error message is displayed: "SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER">SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER".

Any suggestions on hot to fix this problem?

On my 64 bit PC running Windows Seven Pro and SM 2.95, no such problem is observed.

On both machines, Kaspersky Interner Security is the security software in use.  On both machines, Microsoft update shows that all updates are in place.

Related:  what are the respective Mozilla browser and e-mail software versions that SM 2.95 is based on?

Thanks, in advance, for any suggestions, advice, and fixes.

Despite my having thoroughly screwed up this post, thanks to WaltS48 for the info on from where SM 2.49.5 draws from Mozilla.

https://palant.de/categories/kaspersky/

Certificate failures are almost every time cause by the av software. I would turn off any https scanning. The software plays man in the middle.

https://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?/topic/371162-how-to-disable-ssl-interception/

https://support.kaspersky.com/common/safemoney/12489

FRG

Thanks to FRG for the suggestions.  I must say, however, at 82 I am having a hard time getting what is left of my brainpower around this issue  After reading a large group of the Palant posts, it sounds like this is a more severe problem than I could have ever imagined and that the AV vendors may not have it fully under control yet.  What is the best vendor's AV fix?

I am just using Microsoft Security Essenstionals on 7 but with the January dealing stopping security updates I am not sure if Microsoft will provide further updates past that date.

FRG

Windows Security Essentials was not the same beast back then, but I seem to remember WSE updates for Win XP stopping when support for that level ran out. There were articles in C't about WinXP and virus scanners back then, what I remember was that most of the other companies said they were going to continue updating their XP scanners for at least a year after MS stopped supporting the OS. I had a laptop with 1GB memory and XP and I finally nuked Avira there when it was taking around 10 mins to boot just because of the - occasionally misfiring - virus scanner. This means I have no idea how long Avira supported XP.

--
spammus ergo sum, viruses courtesy of https://www.nsa.gov/malware/