Steve Dunn wrote:
    There seems to be a fair bit of potential for extensions that work in 2.49.x to break in 2.53.1, based on what people have been posting here. I can't say I'm surprised, given that the developers have to try to maintain compatibility with an obsolete extension system while grafting in components from a browser that moved to a modern extension system a few years ago, but since extensions are important, it's kind of a problem if the stop working.

    Is there a way to know for sure which of your favourite extensions will work in 2.53.1, or is it a case of back up, hope for the best, and be prepared to uninstall 2.53.1, reinstall 2.49.5, and restore your backup?

-Steve

Back up the profile first before you upgrade. You can then restore it before going back to the older version.