Ant wrote:
On 8/18/2020 10:41 AM, NFN Smith wrote:

How much RAM do you have?

6 GB of RAM.

Also, if you look at the Task Manager, what's the memory demand coming from Seamonkey?

Like 1 GB with seamonkey.exe.

To me, that combination should be OK, but has been noted elsewhere, it does indicate that there's memory swapping happening.

What extensions do you have active, and do you run any mail processing filters?

Last updated: Tue Aug 18 2020 10:50:00 GMT-0700 (Pacific Standard Time)
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.3

Extensions (enabled: 6)
* ColorfulTabs 31.1.9 (http://www.addongenie.com/colorfultabs)
* DOM Inspector 2.0.17.2 (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/inspector/)
* Expire history by days [converted] 1.2.0
* Open With 6.8.6 (https://github.com/darktrojan/openwith)
* PrefBar 7.1.1 (http://prefbar.tuxfamily.org/)
* uBlock Origin 1.16.4.24 (https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock-for-firefox-legacy)

I'm a PrefBar fan, but I've never seen that to cause issues. Beyond uBlock Origin, I'm not familiar with the others, but none look like they should be a problem.

On uBlock, how many subscriptions do you have, especially more than the default? You might want to see what happens when you temporarily disable that one.

Mailing filters? No, I don't use any in http://gmail.com's web site.
Also, I am only there for just quick sessions (up to ten minutes).

That's the way I use gmail, as well. Log in, see what I want to see, log out again. With NoScript, I'm aggressive about blocking scripts, but at an official Google site, I've found that it's necessary to not block any Google scripting hosts (including gstatic) if I want things to behave properly. The only exceptions I've found is that it's safe to block google-analytics, and if I'm not explicitly trying to get something from YouTube, it's safe to block that, as well.

Now that I think of it, I know that FRG has noted that there's an increase of issues between Seamonkey and Google, especially video-related stuff, and things that Google is doing that aren't compatible. I think I've seen commentary about issues with YouTube, although I haven't had any issues there, but I don't make a lot of use of YouTube.

OTOH, the one thing that I've encountered is that at Google's main search page, the cursor display in the search bar is about half a line offset. I also don't use that page regularly, and the offset of cursor and text is mostly annoyance, but I found that when I use PrefBar to show a User Agent string that's stock Firefox (and no mention of Seamonkey) that fixes the problem. Rather than using PrefBar to do temporary spoofing (and having to remember to remove spoofing when I'm done), I found that it's easier to simply tell Google that I'm running Firefox ESR, by going to about:config and setting general.useragent.override.google.com to show Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/68.0 .

Although UA spoofing may not fix this particular problem, it does seem that google is happier if you don't confuse them with the presence of Seamonkey in your UA.

If I take a look at about:memory, there's indications of active scripting from message filters in the mail client, as well as scripting from previously-opened tabs in the browser.  I've found that sometimes running a "Free Memory" can lower memory usage, and sometimes improve performance a little.

I tried to do that after Gmail's sessions, but so dang slow and unresponsive!

Definitely painful.

I know that a couple of months ago, I was filling in a form on a morning after I had left Seamonkey open overnight, and this was one of those forms that launches a script for every single field.  Everything was really slow, and by the time I got to the end of the form, I was getting scripting timeout errors, and it was pretty painful.  The only reason I didn't restart Seamonkey was that I didn't want to start the form over from the beginning again.

Oh, I hate those!!

Yep. One of the effects of NoScript is that if I'm at a purchasing site, and I get to the end of a form, and find that there's an essential scripting host that hasn't been enabled, enabling that extra host causes the form to clear, and I have to start over. Maybe I should see what happens if I adjust NoScript to not do a form reload if permissions get changed.

I will note that I'm a long-time user of NoScript and uBlock Origin (and Adblock Plus before that), and it seems that uBlock may be the culprit for me, especially since I have a lot of user-crafted rules (I tend to block annoying graphics that I don't want to see, even if they're not ads).

All that said, I've noticed that since I upgraded to 2.53.3, I notice a lot less performance issues, especially if I leave Seamonkey active overnight.

UO Legacy here too. Yeah. :(

As noted, see what happens when you turn off uBlock, at least temporarily.

If disabling uBlock doesn't change anything, I'm inclined to believe that you're seeing something that's system related, rather than Seamonkey itself.

One other thought comes to mind -- how big is your cache, and how frequently do you clear it? On my setup, I only run 10 GB, and I think it's not a problem to go even smaller than that. In the current Internet, which is scripting-heavy, and ubiquitous broadband is assumed, cache is far less important that it was in the days of dial-up connections. I find that a lot of display-related issues go away with clearing cache, and forcing sites to download full pages.

Also, how full is your hard disk? If you're running at more than 75% capacity, then the disk is effectively full, and there's not adequate space for system usage and burst demand. If your disk is that full, then you want to investigate cleanups, including clearing browser cache, as well as cleaning up temp files, Windows Error reports, emptying your trash, etc.

Smith