surname wrote:
In 2.53.3 (Linux LXLE x86, Ubuntu 16.04), I have Layout: Wide View with the folder and thread panes visible. These issues appear that are new compared with 2.49.5 and earlier.

#1    There is a strange horizontal striping (alternate lines) at the RHS of the folder pane behind the scroll-bar. Presumably some off-by-N theme issue?

So which theme are you using? Does it still happen with the "SeaMonkey Default" theme? Does it happen in a new profile (Tools > Switch Profile > Manage Profiles) - creating a new profile doesn't affect your existing profile, which you can get back to via the same menu.

It's fine for me using the default theme with SeaMonkey 2.53.3 in Linux Mint MATE.

#2    About 1 in 3 clicks on a folder in the folder pane fail to change the thread pane to the newly highlighted folder. Cursor navigation appears to work reliably. Something is swallowing clicks?

First thing I'd suggest is replace the batteries in the mouse (if it takes batteries), or try a different mouse. It might seem like only SeaMonkey is affected, but I've often seen these kinds of problems reported against one frequently-used application, where it just hasn't been noticed in other applications.

Several times in the past, I've seen people report issues with typing in LibreOffice, or mouse jumping around in GIMP, or SeaMonkey scrolling unexpectedly etc. They're always adamant that the issue only occurs with the one particular application, doesn't occur in anything else so it can't possibly be the keyboard or mouse, but once persuaded to just try replacing it the problem often goes away. They just hadn't noticed an issue in other applications because they don't use the mouse/keyboard in the same way. I'm not guaranteeing that's your problem, but I've seen it often enough that it's not really worth looking for anything else until that's ruled out.

#3    Possibly related to #2? The Error Console reports "Too much recursion" for certain lines in chrome://calendar/content/calendar-ui-utils.js (at or in function setElementValue()) - some event handler is being churned?

I don't see that, and I do actively use Lightning (the calendar add-on). I'm no expert on SeaMonkey's internals, so no idea what might be causing that or what effect that might have (I might even be mistaken about that script being related to Lightning). It may be worth making sure you've got the right version of Lightning installed for your version of SeaMonkey. It's bundled with SeaMonkey now and installed by default, but as I understand it the copy installed within each profile doesn't always get upgraded correctly when upgrading SeaMonkey. Usually it gets disabled if it's the wrong version, so shouldn't cause problems if you don't use it, but may be worth checking anyway.

Lightning 5.8.3 appears to be the version bundled with 2.53.3, so if you don't have that version it's probably worth removing it from your profile and adding the bundled version. See "Lightning or one of the distributed extensions is not showing up or is disabled under Add-ons" under "Known Issues" in the release notes:
<https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/seamonkey2.53.3/>

--
Mark.