Am Son, 2002-12-08 um 02.06 schrieb Fredrik Persson:
> Hi!
>
> Anyone using FreeNet on Debian? I've tried for six hours to make the .deb-package do
>ANYTHING, but so far it has not yet started to listen to port 8888. It's running
>though, I can see it with 'ps ax'. (No luck in pointing a browser to
>http://127.0.0.1:8888, and netstat shows that nothing is listening to that port
>either.)
>
> I've tried every JAVA interpreter in Debian, with the same result. No luck. I've set
>log level to debug, but nothing useful is written to the log file.
>
> Does ANYONE run this thing succesfully?
>
> Appreciate any help I can get!
>
> /Fredrik
1. Forget the debian package. I have tried all of them since 0.4.0 and
none ever really ran :(
2. Get Sun's JRE 1.4.1, extract it to /usr/local and adapt
/etc/alternatives/java to point to the java executable in
/usr/local/jre1.4.1; analoguely do the same with the java-plugins, if
you need them. JRE1.4.1 is not included in Debian, because its not free,
but it's running perfectly on Debian.
3. If you had freenet installed via apt-get you should already have a
user "freenetu". You should chown the freenet stuff to freenetu and run
the start shells by 'su freenetu' and ./start-freenet.sh or you can
build  a start script in /etc/init.d.
If you are really paranoid you can also build a chroot environment for
the local JRE and the freenet jars.