A lot of the problem actually is due to users running nodes with old
config files generated by the windows configurator, which forces all
settings (doesn't write %'s), so they run with old settings such as 50
node routing tables, which mean that the unix nodes run a lot better
than the windows ones, but even the unix nodes don't run well because
the network is stuffed with windows nodes with stupid configs. Ian
recently appealed for a maintainer for the windows config utilities... I
suppose I will have to do it if nobody comes forward, but if you can do
it, please contact him. The software in question is written in C. A
longer term solution would be to handle configuration in the node via
HTML, but *this will take considerable effort and time*.