Toad writes:

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 02:21:19PM +0100, Troed S?ngberg wrote:
My experience is the opposite of his, but I guess you know that the last stable builds have been really good already ..

They have? In what sense? All I hear are complaints... and I usually run unstable, because it's what gets hacked on mostly...

With the the latest stable builds, my "java hanging" problems have gone away (I figure that they were in an infinite loop trying to garbage collect due to the leaks; it's a bug in the jvm, certainly, but it seems it's been worked around) and I'm able to fetch information fairly easily. Sure, it's not like surfing the web, but right now freenet is better than it's ever been.

You're only ever going to hear complaints because the happy people don't need support. :)

For reference, what I did to make Freenet work well:
- Blow away my old freenet configuration (from the last slashdotting era);
- Re-seed with the stable seeds;
- Forward the correct port on my Linksys router;
- Use cjb.net for IP forwarding;
- Increase RAM allowance for the jvm to 256 MB (-Xmx256m in start-freenet.sh);
- Increase store size to 4 GB.

Most of this is standard configuration. The only reason I increased my store size is because I wanted to contribute more to the network.