On Sat, Jul 10, 2004 at 03:17:11PM +0200, rensinghoff wrote:
> Am Mi, den 07.07.2004 schrieb Paul um 18:25:
> SO it is better to get a dyndns account and i got that, but now as
> always on linux i got really sidetracked.
>
> So i have an account and the ddclient, of course setting up ddclient
> seems to be another complicated task ..router settings etc....
>
> Is it ok if i ask for help on that list here, or is it OFF-Topic ?
>
> I always have the same problem: How can i test at which point the
> connection is not working.. Here with ddclient, how do i find the
> error..

You are using "syslog=yes". So have a look at your logfiles for error or
success messages.

> so here is my ddclient.conf
> daemon=300                            # check every 300 seconds
> syslog=yes                            # log update msgs to syslog
> mail=root                             # mail all msgs to root
> mail-failure=root                     # mail failed update msgs to root
> pid=/var/run/ddclient.pid             # record PID in file.
> #
> fw=192.168.2.1
> fw-login=nurense             fw-password=carlito              # FW login and
> password
> ## To obtain an IP address from FW status page (using fw-login,
> fw-password)
> use=fw, fw=192.168.2.1/status_main.htm, fw-skip='IP Address' # found
> after IP Address
> # server=members.dyndns.org,          \
> # protocol=dyndns2                    \
> # your-dynamic-host.dyndns.org
> ##
> ## OrgDNS.org account-configuration
> ##
> use=web, web=members.orgdns.org/nic/ip
> server=www.orgdns.org                 \
> protocol=dyndns2                      \
> login=soundgigi                       \
> password=carlito                      \
> soundgigi.orgdns.org

Are you using OrgDNS or dyndns? A few line down you mention that your
domain is "soundgigi.dyndns.org". So I would use the configuration part
for dyndns (especially the server). And please change the password
before anyone on the list does it for you ;-)

> Did i miss something fundamental ?
except the server ? no.

> Just to understand....
>
> the ddclient connects automatically to dyndns, so it extracts the
> current ip-adress from the router ant that is linked to my domain..which
> is soundgigi.dyndns.org
>
> so i should be able to ping that domain name if the connection works,
> right ??

If your router answers to pings yes. It's perhaps safer to do a
dns lookup for "soundgigi.dyndns.org" after you connected. It should
point to the IP that you are using at the moment.
A ping to that adress might go to another host so it's not a proof that
everything worked.

> So and after that i set my IP in the freenet.config to
> soundgigi.dyndns.org, right ?

yes.

--
str->str_pok |= SP_FBM;                     /* deep magic */
s = (unsigned char*)(str->str_ptr);         /* deeper magic */