On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 01:33:30AM -0500, David Masover wrote:

> Zenon Panoussis wrote:

> |> Of course. There are ways to implement search, however. Sooner or later
> |> somebody will implement a good spider based anonymous search.
>
> Sooner.  NIM/FROST allows you to "send" information to someone.  So the
> author of a new freesite uses one of those methods to notify the spider
> about their new freesite.  Then the spider generates index files, and
> provides three interfaces for searching:
>
> - - Download the index files and a search "client" and run searches
> locally.  With a "fast" freenet and small enough download chunks, this
> could be very effective -- at least until the index files get too big.
>
> - - Search via a "real" web interface -- a gateway somewhere.  This
> compromises anonymity of the user, but is faster.
>
> - - Search by entering a query in NIM/FROST, and wait a bit for a
> response.  This would require some sort of client software and a "fast"
> freenet to be sane.
>
> I read somewhere (probably on a freesite) about some sort of IRC which
> claimed to be completely anonymous.  If there truly is something as fast
> as IRC and as anonymous as Freenet, it'd be very helpful for that third
> solution.

IIP, I2P, others. IIP died, but has been resurrected. Doesn't have
enough users and relays to be really anonymous at the moment.

> Unfortunately, I can't work on this at all right now.  My freenet node
> looks fine, only I get a connection close from FProxy the instant I try
> connecting -- that is, 0 bytes sent/recieved from netcat, "The document
> contains no data" from Firefox.

Ouch. Anything in the logs? Tried restarting? What build?

> | of the user. If a non-anonymous search solves one part without
> | affecting the other, what's the harm of it?
>
> None, as long as it's _absolutely_clear_ which parts are solved.  If you
> make the publisher anonymous but the readers known, you don't want
> someone saying "ooh, freenet" and then using it to visit Porn of Love
> from an office computer.  Or worse.  Make huge, bold, red warnings.

Hehe. That's their own silly fault ;). But yes, warnings probably a good
idea.

> |> This would
> |> probably have two components: 1. A spider, which would spider out from
> |> known freesites, scan NIMs, and Frost traffic, and insert index files.
> |> 2. A client, probably integrated into fproxy, which would fetch the
> |> index files that are appropriate to the search given.
> |
> | You mean creating index files before a search has been made?
> | Wouldn't that be highly inaccurate and/or produce massive
> | volumes of indices?
>
> It's what Google does.  The spider, known as Googlebot, attempts to
> download the entire Internet and index it.  When you run a Google
> search, it searches on that (albeit massive) index file.  But the Google
> indices are probably huge.  For a sample, download the DMOZ rdf dump --
> http://rdf.dmoz.org/.

Google keeps the entire index in RAM.

> [...]
> | to reach the users of freenet and hushmail; I want it to
> | reach the huge and clueless masses who watch CNN and use
> | hotmail. And I also want to protect my anonymity damn well.
>
> What about implementing a freenet client as a Java applet, thus allowing
> "freenet gateways"?  You'd need that (no _percieved_ download/install of
> software) in order to reach these huge and clueless masses.

Not possible. Java applets are not able to connect to servers other than
the one they were downloaded from. Thus you'd still be effectively
running a public proxy. However tens of millions of lusers actually know
how to install software.