Evan Daniel wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 11:20 AM, Matthew Toseland
> <t...@amphibian.dyndns.org> wrote:
>> On Monday 14 September 2009 16:46:38 adam rush wrote:
>>> hey,
>>>         my name is adam and i believe in what you all are trying to
>>> accomplish but there is some major things i ran into when i tried using ur
>>> product. One thing i noticed was when i tried running it, it kept telling me
>>> i needed java which i updated to the max. why it kept telling me i needed to
>>> update it i have no idea. maybe you all can tell me why it still wouldnt
>>> work even after i updated. my second concern is that its a little
>>> complicated and throws alot at you when ur just a normal joe such as myself
>>> when you first start up. when i started running the program it started
>>> giving me all these messeges like im not running the right plug-ins right or
>>> something along those lines. i didnt know what it was talking about or how
>>> to fix um so me (bieng the average joe) would get frustrated and quit using
>>> the program (like i did).
>>>
>>> heres my idea,
>>>
>>>             what if you guys didnt make it a web browser based program, like
>>> frostwire, and gave it its own browser. a seprate browser only associated to
>>> the program so it can be watched by the program. and the downloading client
>>> would be much more like frostwire so were not trying to figure it out all
>>> the time and we can enjoy your product better. so the program its self is
>>> like frostwire but the browser is seprate when we wanna start surfing the
>>> web. and the last thing is make all im gonna need to run the program be in
>>> the file when im downloading it for the first time. so i have a once a time
>>> setup then im done! quick and easy.
>>>
>>> tryin to help you out because i believe in what yall are doing,
>>>
>>> adam rush
>>>
>> The Java problem is well known, enormously serious, and has started to be
>> fixed by various vendors. On Windows, the latest version should not have
>> this problem; on Mac, OS/X 10.6 fixes the problem, 10.5 update 5 will fix it
>> when it eventually is released, on Linux it varies from distro to distro (I
>> think it was recently fixed for Ubuntu). We have disabled the plugins
>> because of this problem. That breaks a lot of things, making it harder to
>> "figure it out", but it should be fixed soon.

> Adam:  Can you tell us what OS and version you're running, what
> version of Java (including what vendor) you think you have installed,
> and what version of Java Freenet reports (copy paste the entire "JVM
> Info" box from your stats page)?
>
> About the browser comment: do you object to the browser interface to
> the node?  Or is it simply that you dislike having the web interface,
> and also separate programs like Frost?  Would you be happier with it
> if there was one main interface, and that interface was an improved /
> expanded version of the current web interface?  If so, do you have
> [...]

Hint: Java 1.5 is going EOL at October 30th!

So Freenet should at least after that date default to Java 6.
Additionally has the OpenJDK being tested already?

One of the problems Adam talks about is related to the way how the Sun
Java is installed by default on Windows I think. If you just click
through it will create a completely new Installation in a separate
Folder instead of "updating" the installed one. So if Freenet starts up
the first time before the "update" it will have the Folder of the old
version (and I bet that folder is just being used after a restart of
Freenet). So if there is a problem related to the Java version supposed
to be used it could make sense to present a dialog to the user
explaining the warning and giving him/her the opportunity to browse for
another Java installation.

Most Linux distros (at least debian-based ones) don't have such problems
because they use symlinks to always point to the latest version of all
installed Java 6, 1.5, 1.4, ... like this:

lrwxrwxrwx /usr/bin/java -> /etc/alternatives/java

lrwxrwxrwx /etc/alternatives/java -> /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java

lrwxrwxrwx java-1.5.0-sun -> java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0.19
drwxr-xr-x java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0.19
lrwxrwxrwx java-6-sun -> java-6-sun-1.6.0.16
drwxr-xr-x java-6-sun-1.6.0.15
drwxr-xr-x java-6-sun-1.6.0.16

And ^^ here you see although I update every day my Ubuntu installation
has already abandoned Java 1.5.

Regards,

AncoL