On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 3:06 AM,  <l...@hushmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Evan.
>
> I tried that site but it doesn't open or exist.
> I have gone to quite a few sites concerning "how to forward" ports
> and so far none of them instruct "how to", just "this is what you
> need to do. Frustrating to say the least.
>
> Since you say I am connected, how to I contact whoever I am
> connected to? I have searched through all the pages of Freenet I
> can access but nothing that shows or leads me into the path or
> manner of trying to "contact" any of these "connected" ones.
>
> Thanks
> On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 09:40:47 +0700 Evan Daniel <eva...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 9:41 PM,  <l...@hushmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hello people.
>>> I have these "peers" and they are "connected". I am assuming
>>> "connected" to me in some manner.
>>> In order to connect to them, I have to give them something,
>>and/or
>>> get something from them.
>>>
>>> Where, no, how do I find their info in order to connect?
>>> I know I can send my noderef but where do I find theirs?
>>>
>>> Also, the message in the window mentions using a certain port. I
>>> think it says something like UDP but since I don't have that
>>page
>>> open please forgive me if I got the letters wrong.
>>>
>>> SIGH! Again, it mentions forwarding this port and I cannot seem
>>> understand how to do this.
>>
>>You already have everything you need to connect to them.  You can
>>tell
>>because you're connected to them.  Similarly, they have everything
>>they need.
>>
>>There are plenty of people who can do a better job than I
>>explaining
>>how to forward a port.  Some of them have done so on this mailing
>>list; some of those, recently.  I suggest checking the list
>>archives.
>>Alternately, google can help:
>>http://www.google.com/q=how+to+forward+a+port

If you need further help on forwarding ports, I recommend you consult
the manual for your router.

There is no way to communicate directly with your opennet peers.  Your
node is connected to them, and routing requests for them (and vice
versa), but that doesn't mean all that much.  If you want to talk to
people, I suggest using an app like Frost, FMS, or Freetalk.  Think of
Freenet like a giant game of Telephone (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_%28game%29 ) or Six Degrees of
Kevin Bacon ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Degrees_of_Kevin_Bacon
).  Your node sends and receives messages, but who it sends them to or
receives them from is only peripherally related to where they came
from or where they're going.  So don't worry about who your opennet
peers are; they're just semi-random people who use Freenet.

Evan Daniel