Freenet is exactly what was being discussed. He wasn't looking for
support for illegal activities, he was looking for support for
Freenet, which he happened to be using in a way that in certain
countries is illegal. So should we refuse support to anyone asking for
help with freenet if their use of it happens to be illegal in, say,
China?

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 10:02 AM, Evan Daniel <eva...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 12:58 AM, freenet <free...@pacbell.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Nov 9, 2009, at 17:16:24 +0100, bimbek <bimbek...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Oh, with all the respect Matthew Toseland, you did not need to ban
>>> the poor
>>> guy.
>>>
>>> I hope that one day you will not ban all of us just because some US
>>> court
>>> would say that using freenet is illegal...
>>
>> Did anyone catch the irony that the Freenet Project - that is
>> dedicated to overcoming censorship and promoting absolute free speech
>> for all worldwide - has just banned, censored if you will, someone
>> from a simple support e-mail list?
>>
>> But from the Freenet web site at http://freenetproject.org/philosophy.html
>> :
>>
>> "You cannot guarantee freedom of speech and enforce copyright law. It
>> is for this reason that Freenet, a system designed to protect Freedom
>> of Speech, must prevent enforcement of copyright."
>
> Freenet must operate under the laws of both the US and the UK.  What's
> surprising, exactly?
>
> If you want support for illegal activities, don't look for it on
> moderated, non-anonymous forums like this email list!  How surprising
> is that?  Seriously, if you want to discuss illegal activities,
> shouldn't you be using something like, I don't know, Freenet?
>
> Evan Daniel

Brian Flowers
Webmaster, PSU Amnesty International
http://clubs.psu.edu/up/amnesty

President, PSU Students for a Sensible Drug Policy
http://PennStateSSDP.org

Vice President, PSU Linux Users Group
http://clubs.psu.edu/up/lug

Treasurer, PSU Amateur Radio Club
http://www.clubs.psu.edu/up/k3cr/

Developer, FCON (Freenet Classic OpenNet)
http://fcon.sourceforge.net