On Thursday 12 November 2009 14:04:08 Jonas Islander wrote:
> Ichi wrote:
> > First, I appreciate that Matthew had to "ban" Toni.  Open discussion
> > of Freenet documents is just plain stupid, for obvious reasons.
> >
> > Second, I'm sure that Freenet and this list are already illegal in
> > many countries. If Freenet ever becomes popular, it will undoubtedly
> > become illegal everywhere, more or less.
>
> Well, BitTorrent is heavily used for illegal filesharing, but the clients
> (uTorrent, Azureus, etc) and the technology itself are legal. When the
> copyright industry tries to shut BitTorrent filesharing down, they target
> websites that list illegal torrents. I doubt the industry will be able to
> criminalise the use of any piece of filesharing software as long as it has
> legitimate uses.

They will try, and it is likely they will succeed in some places. But most are
resisting this and at least so far buying into the idea that you can cheaply
detect and (executively) punish pirates.

> In the case of Freenet, it doesn't seem practical to go after individual
> filesharers, so the entertainment industry will likely direct legal actions
> against the developers. Perhaps one day the current developers will have to
> abandon the project and new ones will have to take over - who will only be
> known by their Freenet identities?

Perhaps so, but we have some way to go before Freenet is that reliable, or
before it can function in the face of a government or ISP willing to spend a
little money to get rid of it...