Dennis Nezic wrote:
On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 23:56:46 -0400, Dennis Nezic wrote:
Is it possible to explicitly state the compression used with GETCHK or
GETCHKFILE or GETCHKDDIR from telnet? (I don't think these commands
are even possible in fproxy -- getting chk keys without inserting?)

When inserting files via fproxy, I think you have to explicitly decide
whether to compress or not, but that would easily lead to a different
chk key for the same file, if the GETCHK* commands don't do the same
thing.

Oh, why do we have arbitrary compression anyways, btw? :) (Arbitrary
because there is no explicit standard in the specs, as far as I know,
which can easily lead to completely different CHKs for the same file
across different versions, if the settings are even slightly changed
(ie. slightly different compression algorithm/level, or threshold for
using it, or explicit user choice, etc.)) Is the massive computer and
time overhead really necessary to reduce filesizes by 1%? (I assume
jpeg and zip and mpeg4 etc compression algorithms are already good
enough? And why the heck is all this massive overhead done THREE
times? Are gzip bzip and lzma really all /that/ different??)

You did hit one good point here, however, and perhaps it should be put in the wiki. There is almost no reason to insert zip, bzip, or other archive types into freenet (unless the format is important for some reason); just insert the tar, the node will compress it the best it can.

                - Volodya

--
http://freedom.libsyn.com/     Echo of Freedom, Radical Podcast

 "None of us are free until all of us are free."    ~ Mihail Bakunin