On Fri, 4 Jun 2010 11:54:42 -0400, Dennis Nezic wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Jun 2010 19:33:09 +0400, VolodyA! V Anarhist wrote:

> > > Oh, why do we have arbitrary compression anyways, btw? :)
> > > (Arbitrary because there is no explicit standard in the specs, as
> > > far as I know, which can easily lead to completely different CHKs
> > > for the same file across different versions, if the settings are
> > > even slightly changed (ie. slightly different compression
> > > algorithm/level, or threshold for using it, or explicit user
> > > choice, etc.)) Is the massive computer and time overhead really
> > > necessary to reduce filesizes by 1%? (I assume jpeg and zip and
> > > mpeg4 etc compression algorithms are already good enough? And why
> > > the heck is all this massive overhead done THREE times? Are gzip
> > > bzip and lzma really all /that/ different??)
> >
> > This question is being asked over and over and over again, mostly by
> > the people who don't bother look for the answer (in the future
> > please at least say that you didn't look for it).
> >
> > Think about the implications of 1% in the network that does not do
> > path folding? This is 1% on every download by every person that goes
> > out multiple hops. So you will be downloading 1% more, but your node
> > will also have to carry 1% more from all the traffic that comes
> > through it. This will also amount to the constant garbage flood
> > attack on the network equivalent to 1% of all the data that is
> > currently being inserted, pushing more content off the network,
> > causing people to retry, and then reinsert more often (with the
> > effects discussed above).
> >
> > In addition to all that, the truth of the matter is that the CPU
> > time is very cheap when it is compared to the network latency.
>
> I suppose I can accept that logic -- one end user (the author) suffers
> while everyone else benefits. But, actually, I think more often then
> not all that intense cpu-work is completely ignored since none of
> those general-purpose algorithms can do better than the
> specific-purpose jpeg/zip/mpeg4/etc. (Assuming a few bytes could be
> compressed, the metadata overhead negates it.)
>

> > And as for the reason why there's no standard so far, it's probably
> > because things are still being tweaked.
>
> That's probably my biggest complaint. If it was standardized and
> completely transparent, I might grudgingly accept having to wait an
> hour to get a chk key, without inserting. But as it currently exists,
> depending on how you insert, (ie. via telnet, fproxy w or w/o
> compression, etc) will result in differing CHKs.
>
> Personally I'd trash all the compression stuff -- that is not the
> node's responsibility, IMHO. Like you said in your other email, people
> already compress their archives, and probably at even higher
> compression levels?

Upon further reflextion, my biggest complaint is actually that
GETCHKFILE doesn't work!? I've tried doing it on a couple files, and
it never finishes. Ie.:

TMCI> getchkfile:/pub/speeches/Noam Chomsky - Iraq.mp3
Started compression attempt with GZIP
Started compression attempt with BZIP2
Started compression attempt with LZMA
Compressed data: codec=1, origSize=7576241, compressedSize=7317992
Completed 0% 0/448 (failed 0, fatally 0, total 448)
Completed 0% 0/448 (failed 0, fatally 0, total 448)

And it will hang there, (after spending too much time compressing!) for
hours (forever). Does it work for you guys?