The ethernet is a strange problem, nothing Freenet touches could do something
like that but it sounds like the system isn't actually starting with ethernet
plugged in, perhaps it is trying to netboot for some reason.

Your shutdown issue is actually expected behavior, the shutdown button only
stops Freenet once, it does not prevent it from starting itself when your
computer reboots, which is something controlled by the OS itself and not the
Freenet code. To stop that behavior so that freenet only starts when you want
it to, you need to delete a file:
~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.freenet.startup.plist. It may actually be in the
LaunchDaemons directory, but that is what causes freenet to autostart on Mac
with each reboot. There may also be a cron job, check with crontab -l in a
terminal.