As I'm used to by now, it took multiple efforts to get the new Freenet version 1259 to connect to strangers; it seems to require a complete new install from scratch and no less will do. No way of updating works for me, FN has been whirling all night in a loop of restarting the old version and finding that it needs to be updated.

But I got it working again, and decided to give FMS a try. Dl'd it over FN, started it.
It gave me a DOS window 'FMS is started'.
On the config page http://localhost/8080 only a blank page came up.
The node disconnected immediately; the 'browse FN' page gave:

Internal error: please report

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class freenet.support.HTMLEncoder
        at freenet.l10n.BaseL10n.addL10nSubstitution(BaseL10n.java:495)
at freenet.clients.http.WelcomeToadlet.handleMethodGET(WelcomeToadlet.java:459)
at freenet.clients.http.ToadletContextImpl.handle(ToadletContextImpl.java:534) at freenet.clients.http.SimpleToadletServer$SocketHandler.run(SimpleToadletServer.java:794)
        at
freenet.support.PooledExecutor$MyThread.realRun(PooledExecutor.java:228)
        at freenet.support.io.NativeThread.run(NativeThread.java:101)

and my node restarted again.

I guess FMS conflicted with my mail server, it has a web interface at localhost/8080 that I forgot about. Switched it off but it will be a while before I try FMS again. Just figured you want to know about the error.